The story of the ironclad gunboats used by the British during the invasion of the Waikato
HMCS Avon with reduced armour as she was deployed on the Waipa River in January 1864
HMCS Pioneer, originally named Waikato as she looked on her arrival at Onehunga from Australia in 1863.
HMCS Koheroa, built in Sydney and shipped to Port Waikato in sections where she were assembled in 1864
The small gunboats Ant and Chub, two of the four coastal sailing craft that were armoured with iron plate and fitting with an Armstrong gun and Coehorn mortar.